Sunday, January 29, 2012

Drought continues - at least re movies for me!

I have managed to see two movies, since my last post - I am pleased to say that I saw both War Horse, and We Bought a Zoo.  Both had their sad moments, but of course War Horse had the most dramatic.  It was painful to watch the World War I scenes - oh, why do we have such brutal wars?  Even the 'war to end all wars' didn't.

Still, I'd recommend both movies.  The last movie I saw was on New Year's Day - and I've not set foot in a theatre since, but I guess it is only 29 days!  I haven't read much either, but today retrieved a brilliant book from my shipping container.  It has been in there since just before my trip to Perth and Adelaide, and though most of my belonging are still in the container, I did get some things that I needed for my jaunt to Bali - which is only 3 sleeps away. (Whose counting?)

I doubt that I will finish this book before I go, and I won't be taking it with me as I have two books in my Kindle that I want to read - and it is much easier travelling with a Kindle.

The book in question is "A Waltz for Matilda" by Jackie French.  Many of us would recall Jackie as a zany personality on the now defunct Burke's Backyard, but she is an amazingly prolific writer.  The book belongs to my granddaughter who is 11 1/2 years old, and she just loved it  as I am doing.

Jackie has used the song "Walzting Matilda" based on the poem by A.B. 'Banjo' Paterson,  as the inspiration for the story of young Matilda, who sets out in 1894 at 12 years of age to find  her father in the midst of the shearers strike.  There's a lot of historical material in it, and the gripping story takes us through life in the bush.

I do have several other books to read, and I have also decided to read one of Amanda Hocking's books, as her story is inspirational.







No comments:

Post a Comment