Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Little Bit of Madness

Those of my readers who know me, may recall that as a nurse I enjoyed (really) my days and nights working in psychiatry.  It was a weird, weird world trying to tread lightly through some amazing situations as my ill patients walked through their strange world.  I did find it fascinating - but in the end left as I felt that many of the staff were also succumbing to creating a world that was not the 'norm'.  When doctors and nurses not only cross the divide between doctor/nurse and patient relationships, you know you are in weird company.  I digress a little - I would have liked to stay working there but it was getting too weird for me.

One of my friends who has Bipolar has written about her experiences as a patient - and I was unable to attend her launch, but did buy the book from her. And yes, she has signed it for me.

I am about a third of the way through the book and I am so impressed with her writing and the openness of telling her story - warts and all.

I hope to finish it in the next few days (between other big commitments), but already I am recommending it to anyone who will listen.  It is called "Me and Her" - "One woman's story of manic dreams and her two personas. ME - wife, mother, writer and teacher.  HER - manic, psychic, healer to the living, telepathic to the dead, and she's very psychotic."

The book is called "Me and Her" and the author is the delightful Karen Tyrrell.





No comments:

Post a Comment