Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Salmon Fishing in Yemen

It was a long weekend here (May 5th, 6th, 7th) and I had some vague plans which fell through, so off to the movies.

Bulimba is a quaint place which is old, with many shops dotted throughout the main street, and plenty of restaurants and they appeared to be doing a roaring trade as I drove in.  There is a Cineplex theatre there - a very old theatre which looks a little worse for wear but is hugely popular - I think there are some 6 theatres within the old complex, and with some car parking.  Luckily I found a park there - I think the last space - and headed in to the theatre.

Timing was awesome, as I had only found my preferred seat and settled in when the theatre darkened and the in-house messages, ads from sponsors, and previews started.

I had seen a preview of Salmon Fishing in the Yemen and it seemed a strange topic, though clearly there was a romance involved.

I loved the movie - and loved watching the behaviour of the bureaucrats and others as they tried to sort out the Sheik's strange request for the British government to help set up a salmon fishing program in the deserts of Yemen.  Money talks of course - and it SHOUTED at all involved.

One aspect that thrilled me was the photography - the scenery around the Yemen in particular was extra ordinary.There was much intrigue when the boyfriend was declared lost in Afghanistan - and that part of the story had a surprise (albeit a bit silly) ending.

Ewan McGregor, Emily Blunt and Amr Waked star.  The cast is stunning.

I loved the movie.




It is a MUST SEE movie.

1 comment: