Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Movie mix up

I am back in Adelaide - this was something that had been on my agenda for some months, and despite having been here several times recently, I knew there were things to do as a result of Dad's death, so here I am.

I arrived on Sunday and spend much of the day discussing family matters, filling in forms etc.  My sister works so during the working week I 'do my own thing.' Yesterday however, the electricity was going to be off all day due to some electrical work in the street, so I chose to go to the movies.   I had wanted to see Mr Popper's Penguins, which seems rather fun, and I went up to the Box office and purchased my ticket.  I did show my Seniors card, but it cost me $12.50, and as the movie was about to start I headed to the theatres.  The lady collecting tickets briefly looked at my ticket and said "Are you over 60?" I was rather surprised by her questioning but with a smile admitted it.  She told me I had been overcharged and sent me back to the Box Office with a message.  I did as I was told.

The girl at the desk was rather put out - but duly gave me my ticket.  I returned hurriedly to the theatres, and in the somewhat dim light read that I was to be in theatre 13, and I went in.  One thing that amused me was that there was set seating, though I didn't climb up that far to the row and seat that was allotted to me. 

There was already things happening on the screen - there was a short preview of a movie, and then what I thought was the trailer for the movie "Red Dog".  It took a while before I realised that I was watching not a trailer but the movie.  I wondered what I should do?  Clearly I was in the wrong theatre - I couldn't read my ticket in the dim light.  I knew also too that even if I did exit the theatre, and go back to exchange my ticket I would have missed the first part of "Mr Popper's Penguins" - so I sat tight.

And I am glad I did.  What a fabulous movie was "Red Dog".   What a great Australian movie.  There are a couple of books detailing the story of this dog that wandered the Pilbara in the 1970's, and it is quite famous in that part of the country even with a statue of it at Dampier.  You can read about it on Wikipedia.



There were lots of laughs as the story of Red Dog unfolded, and the most wonderful photography of that part of Western Australia.  I wonder about the potential for international audiences - but certainly anyone understanding the Australian history and humour would enjoy it.

I certainly laughed out loud often.  Loved it.

I will see it again - it was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment