Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Day for Books

I met a friend this morning at The Black Cat Bookshop - and bought a book which is simply called 'flood' - Stories and images from the ABC of survival, loss and courage during the Queensland floods. I've yet to read much, but I see it (a) as a way to remember this awful event that occured earlier this year in the city in which I live and (b) all royalties will go to the Premier's Disaster Relief Appeal.

Even flicking through a few pages in the shop brought tears to my eyes - some people have been through so much - and for some the pain continues as they are not back in their terribly damaged houses.

I caught a bus into the city after we left The Black Cat as I had a couple of things to purchase.  It is so close from where I am house sitting, I am thoroughly spoiled, and it wasn't long before with my purchases I headed back home.

Not long after I returned home, there was a ring on the front door bell, and it was a delivery lady with more books.  I had ordered some from Amazon. 

A few weeks ago I had attended a workshop on Limericks - I use them occasionally, in the ESL classroom, and they can be a lot of fun for the students to create, and I thought I'd get some joy out of reading some more. So I now have a copy of "The Mammoth Book of Limericks".   Over 500 pages of  them should keep me amused!!

The other book was by Linda Aronson - "The 21st Century Screenplay" - I had ordered it as I am doing Scriptwriting at university this semester.  This should keep me busy for a while too.


I am happy to have a copy of this and another one, on screenplay, that arrived from Amazon a couple of days ago.

Next Monday the semester starts - so I have plenty of reading to do.

1 comment:

  1. Good post for your group,Di.

    I'm on a FB one This week the key word is 'Expectations'

    http://huttsblogesphere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete