Thursday, June 2, 2011

Australian Movies for Release in 2011

Australians have a love/hate relationship with Australian movies.  We have some very very talented movie makers in our country, a small population many of whom are besotted by American movies.  Our Australian film industry languishes – especially as there is more money available for investing in film and the publicity of such film in America than there is here.  One challenge is our small population – just 21 million people live here, and they are not all English speakers.

Still each year, we have our successes.  I like to encourage Australians to take a greater interest in Australian movies.  Here I list some of the movies due for release in 2011.
  •  Wasted on the Young
  •  Dreamland
  •  Hail
  •  The Eye of the Storm
  •   Happy Feet 2
  •  Mrs Carey’s Concert*
  •   Here I am
  •   Mad Bastards
  •   Snowtown*
  •   Griff the Invisible
  •  Oranges and Sunshine*
  •  The Reef

Three movies have been released or are about to be released, and I have marked them '*'  - Oranges and Sunshine is due for release next week, and I will be in attendance at the morning session.
I am not sure about seeing Snowtown - it is a story of a partiscularly gruesome series of murders in the South Australian town of Snowtown.  I will have to be in a very good mood before I venture into the theatre to see it - but I will.
Mrs Carey's Concert is in the theatres now, and I hope to see it soon.



There is also another movie not included in the list above about Cane Toads, which is due to open shortly.  Sounds rather fun and I will endeavour to find out more about that film.  Sometimes information about the films is not readily available until shortly before the film's release but I will endeavour to get more information. 

For more information read the longer article here.




No comments:

Post a Comment