Sunday, June 12, 2011

Chinese Bakeries here in Australia

I remember when I lived in China, that we longed for 'real bread' as the Chinese variety was very sweet.  We would occasionally find something to our liking in a supermarket but their turnover of product was so high, it could be there one day, and not the next.

However, we did enjoy some of the baked items -though it took us a while to get accustomed to some of the products. Some of the savoury buns with meat in them did not appeal, but some of the sweet things were just so yummy.

Imagine my surprise a few months ago to find a Chinese bakery right in the heart of the city - in the big Myer centre!  And there were one of my favourites - sesame balls.  They are filled with a rather strange paste (green bean paste I think) but coated with a type of batter and rolled in sesame seeds.

One of my favourite Asian items were rice cakes, perhaps found more commonly in South Korea, and I used to buy some every shopping trip to the supermarket.  I don't know how they are made, but they were in different colours - white, pale green, pink.  And so yummy.

I have found that there are a few Breadtop stores in Brisbane, but I have learned that they have been in Australia since 2002.

Their decorated cakes are amazing - no doubt high in calories, but just so wonderfully decorated.  I remember being in awe of the cakes in shops in South Korea and China. Awesome.

Sesame Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment